sotto voce  

Why is it so difficult to write simply -- and not just simply but sotto voce, if you know what I mean? That is how I long to write. No fine effects -- no bravura. But just the honest truth, as only a liar can tell it. - Katherine Mansfield, A Married Man's Story

Comments: Post a Comment

 
Storypeople Quotes


There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.


I used to wait for a sign, she said, before I did anything. Then one night I had a dream & an angel in black tights came to me & said, you can start any time now, & then I asked is this a sign? & the angel started laughing & I woke up. Now, I think the whole world is filled with signs, but if there's no laughter, I know they're not for me.


She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short.


The plumber was digging around in the pipes & he saw something shine in the muck & it turned out to be the soul of the last tenant. He gave it to me & I said I wonder how we can return it & he shrugged & said he found stuff like that all the time. You'd be amazed what people lose, he said.


I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am.


We had gone far enough together to listen easily in the quiet spaces.


He is self-conscious because everyone knows he has wings but they've never seen him fly. Now & then there will be a feather in odd places or maybe a footprint to show he was there. All in all, he thinks it's nobody else's business what he does with his free time.


I don't really like coffee, she said, but I don't really like it when my head hits my desk when I fall asleep either.


I don't believe in love, she said & I nodded & said I had heard that argument before & it always ends badly & she could not think of another thing to say.


I saw them standing there pretending to be just friends, when all the time in the world could not pry them apart.


In the end, I think that I will like that we were sitting on the bed, talking & wondering where the time had gone.


You're the strangest person I ever met, she said & I said you too & we decided we'd know each other a long time.


In my dream, the angel shrugged & said, If we fail this time, it will be a failure of imagination & then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand.


She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short.


If you hold on to the handle, she said, it's easier to maintain the illusion of control. But it's more fun if you just let the wind carry you.


They came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good & true things they would do someday.



  posted by spidergrrl @ 4:36 AM


8.8.03  
Powered By Blogger TM