|
Why is it so difficult to write simply -- and not just simply but sotto voce, if you know what I mean? That is how I long to write. No fine effects -- no bravura. But just the honest truth, as only a liar can tell it. - Katherine Mansfield, A Married Man's Story
|
COLUMN #1, APRIL 10, 2001
The Continuing Adventures | Don George
At the Andersen Pastry Shop in the Tokyo City Air Terminal on 25 August, I scrawled: 'Almost exactly two years ago, in another journal, I wrote, "At last, I have begun." At that time, I was moving from one stage - the summer after college graduation - to another in my life. But I realize now that it is false to isolate any one point in my experience as a beginning: I begin as I continue; I continue as I begin.
'Tokyo is another world from Indonesia, it is true, but I am a living link between those two worlds: Thyrsus of the remembered, the imagined, and the real, I gain life as they gain life in me.
'Now, to return: remembering the children, the beaches and palms, the music and dance, all bright colors and graceful lines, this immersion in the sensual real - to continue to begin.'
posted by spidergrrl @
7:36 AM
|
11.9.02  |
|
|